validating foreign tables

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: validating foreign tables
Date: 2011-02-21 23:11:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The API for FDW validators doesn't appear to have any way that the
validator function can check that the defined foreign table shape
matches the FDW options sanely. Maybe it's a chicken and egg problem,
but there seems to be something missing, unless I'm mistaken. We'll have
the info when we come to make plan estimates, but that seems like the
wrong place to be doing this sort of validation. Can we extend the
validator API somehow to make this possible?

cheers

andrew