Re: How to boost performance of queries containing pattern matching characters

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to boost performance of queries containing pattern matching characters
Date: 2011-02-14 07:39:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 14/02/11 07:28, Gnanakumar wrote:
>> Is that really what you are after? Or, did you just want to match:
>> user1(at)domain(dot)com
>> user2(at)sub(dot)domain(dot)com
>
> I understand that because I've (%) at the beginning and end, it's going to
> match unrelated domains, etc., which as you said rightly, it is
> wide-ranging. But my point here is that how can I improve performance of
> the queries containing pattern matching characters.

If you really need to match all those options, you can't use an index. A
substring-matching index would need to have multiple entries per
character per value (since it doesn't know what you will search for).
The index-size becomes unmanageable very quickly.

That's why I asked what you really wanted to match.

So, I'll ask again: do you really want to match all of those options?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd