Re: SSI bug?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "YAMAMOTO Takashi" <yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSI bug?
Date: 2011-02-11 15:48:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt(at)mwd(dot)biglobe(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:

> it seems that PredicateLockTupleRowVersionLink sometimes create
> a loop of targets (it founds an existing 'newtarget' whose
> nextVersionOfRow chain points to the 'oldtarget') and it later
> causes CheckTargetForConflictsIn loop forever.

Is this a hypothetical risk based on looking at the code, or have
you seen this actually happen? Either way, could you provide more
details? (A reproducible test case would be ideal.)

This being the newest part of the code, I'll grant that it is the
most likely to have an unidentified bug; but given that the pointers
are from one predicate lock target structure identified by a tuple
ID to one identified by the tuple ID of the next version of the row,
it isn't obvious to me how a cycle could develop.

-Kevin