Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Matt Zinicola <matt(at)zinicola(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt
Date: 2011-02-03 01:49:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 03/02/11 04:07, Matt Zinicola wrote:

> Bug reference: 5862
> Logged by: Matt Zinicola
> Email address: matt(at)zinicola(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.3
> Operating system: Linux (Fedora 14, kernel 2.6.35-10-74), 64-bit
> Details:
>
> A simple compile from source and install (as per usual) on Fedora 14 yielded
> crashes of client applications attempting to connect.

Make sure you don't have any other PostgreSQL binaries or shared
libraries on your PATH that might be interfering with things. If you
installed to a --prefix you already had another postgresql install on,
this would explain the problem.

Once you've confirmed that's not the cause, you should get a backtrace
of the crash so it's possible to tell what happened. Enable core dumps
in your system, then attach gdb to a core dump and request a backtrace.
Let me know if you need a hand with that.

--
System & Network Administrator
POST Newspapers