Privileges for read-only tables with sequence and foreign keys

From: gvim <gvimrc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Privileges for read-only tables with sequence and foreign keys
Date: 2011-02-02 13:44:32
Lists: pgsql-general

To allow read-only access, ie. SELECT, to a user on a table which has a SERIAL column as well as foreign key references do I need to GRANT the user anything other than SELECT on the table and its corresponding sequence? As I understand, USAGE is only required to modify the table or use the currval function while REFERENCES is only required to create a foreign key, not to make use of it.

gvim