Re: windows build docs

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: windows build docs
Date: 2011-01-31 18:34:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/31/2011 12:17 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 18:14, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> Following recent discussions and the enabling of 64 bit Mingw builds, I
>> propose to make the attached changes to the docs. I don't see any great
>> reason for us to advise against building with Mingw, especially now that we
>> have 64 bit support for it, so I removed that, amd also clarified where
>> Cygwin is useful and where it's not, as well as adding some detail about how
>> to make 64 bit builds.
> Agreed, and looks good to me.
>
> Do you know if cygwin psql works in non-US locales these days? It used
> to be that it didn't, and if we recommend it we should probably
> include a notice if it doesn't.

I just tested by setting my machine to fr_FR, and also setting
LANG=fr_FR.utf8 under Cygwin. The build failed. The I set Cygwin back to
LANG=C.utf8 and the build/install succeeded. After that, I switched back
to LANG=fr_FR.utf8, and initdb, pg_ctl start and psql all behaved as
expected. I'm adding a note accordingly.

Some day I'll try to work out why the build went boom, but now I need to
move on to other things.

cheers

andrew