Re: Clarification of pg_cotroldata output

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Melvin Davidson" <mdavidson(at)icsolutions(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clarification of pg_cotroldata output
Date: 2011-01-31 18:48:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Melvin Davidson <mdavidson(at)icsolutions(dot)com> wrote:

> When I execute pg_control on a warm standby cluster, I notice that
> often, "Time of latest checkpoint:" lags behind "pg_control last
> modified:".
>
> Is it documented anywhere the difference between "pg_control last
> modified:" and "Time of latest checkpoint:" ?

If it's documented, I haven't found it yet. I generally find the
labels to be pretty descriptive, though.

"pg_control last modified" is the last time the server wrote control
information out to the disk. "Time of latest checkpoint" is the
last time a checkpoint had been performed at the point when the
control data was last written.

-Kevin