Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,<fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "Tatsuo Ishii" <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"
Date: 2011-01-31 15:31:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> As a novice I am not sure why we _wouldn't_ create two new
> separate error codes

The argument for using SQLSTATE 40001 for failures which are
strictly due to concurrency problems, and are likely to work if the
transaction is retried, is that there is already a lot of software
which knows how to do that. On the other hand, going into such code
to turn that into a list of concurrency failure states is probably
only going to cause pain to those with applications intended to work
with multiple DBMS products without much modification.

-Kevin