Re: [Mingw-users] mingw64

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Rosin <peda(at)lysator(dot)liu(dot)se>
Cc: MinGW Users List <mingw-users(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "mingw-w64-public(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net" <mingw-w64-public(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] mingw64
Date: 2011-01-29 22:03:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/29/2011 08:26 AM, Peter Rosin wrote:
>>> Maybe that's true. But Windows doesn't come wth zic nor a timezone
>>> database like Unix usually has. Part of the reason we started
>>> maintaining our own timezone sets was that we needed it on Windows. And
>>> since we do mke rovision for that, jumping through these hoops seems
>>> silly. I'm much more interested in building 64 bit Postgres for Windows
>>> natively than as a cross compilation, and as I reported yesterday, it's
>>> entirely possible. The cross-compilaion without renaming failed
>>> miserably on my setuo, because, for example, configure used the wrong ar.
>>>
>> *** Moving thread to mingw-w64-public ***
>>
>> There is/was a bug in autotools, where the wrong AR was used, try adding
>> "AC_CHECK_TOOL([AR], [ar], [:])" as a workaround.
> Hi,
>
> I am probably missing something, but from a message posted previously
> in this thread [1] I find this:
>
>> Invocation command line was
>>
>> $ ./configure --without-zlib --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --prefix=D:/psqlbin

Yeah, this is working for me now. I don't know what went wrong previously.

Thanks for following up.

But the point remains that using --with-system-tzdata is silly on
Windows. If you're cross-compiling (e.g. building 64bit Postgres on
32bit Windows), your best bet is probably to build natively and use the
zic.exe from the native build. If you're only bulding to get the client
libraries I guess it doesn't matter, but otherwise it sure does.

cheers
'
andrew