Re: Caution when removing git branches

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Caution when removing git branches
Date: 2011-01-26 16:37:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/26/2011 11:26 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> For those of you using git, I wanted to point out that it is fairly easy
> to remove git branches. For example, I can easily remove a branch on
> my github repository using:
>
> $ git branch -d :branch_name
>
> I don't believe that is revertable. What is scarey is that this could
> be done on our 'origin' as well.

The ability to remove branches is a feature. I strongly encourage you to
create topic branches for development work, then merge them onto the
main branch, and then delete them. I almost never work directly on, say,
REL9_0_STABLE or master, except for quite trivial changes.

I thought we had some hooks on gitmaster to help prevent accidents like
inadvertent branch deletion.

I at least still keep rolling backups of the main repo. I'm sure I'm not
alone.

cheers

andrew