Re: problem connecting via ODBC when unicode (now in correct forum.).

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kim Mortensen <kimfmx(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Hiroshi Saito <hiroshi(at)winpg(dot)jp>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem connecting via ODBC when unicode (now in correct forum.).
Date: 2011-01-21 20:28:26
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On 01/21/2011 10:20 AM, Kim Mortensen wrote:
> Thank you for your input,
>
> it may be that only ascii chars is to be used, however it should be
> stated or a bug report filled out, as you can insert Login Roles with
> different charakterset as you can actually use.
>
> Best Regards
> Kim Mortesnen

I cranked up a virtual instance of Windows XP to try to figure this out.
Turns out I need to know more about how encoding works on Windows. I
had no problem creating the role æøå on my Linux server and logging in
using psql. On Windows not so, I get:

Username [postgres]: æøå
Password for user µ°Õ:
psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "æøå"

and through ODBC:

2011-01-21 12:16:32 PSTFATAL: password authentication failed for user "æøå"

Seems client encoding is getting in the way somehow, just not sure how.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com