Re: Large object corruption during 'piped' pg_restore

From: Bosco Rama <postgres(at)boscorama(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large object corruption during 'piped' pg_restore
Date: 2011-01-21 17:44:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> So I'm not sure whether to fix it, or leave it as a known failure case
> in old branches. Comments?

I understand the reluctance to fool with stable code. I have zero insight
into your installed versions distribution and backward compatibility needs
so any comment I may have here is purely selfish.

As an end user there is one area of the DB that I want to work correctly
100% of the time and that is the dump/restore tool(s). If it's not going
to work under certain circumstances it should at least tell me so and
fail. I don't think having the tool appear to work while corrupting the
data (even if documented as doing so) is a viable method of operation.

Just my $0.02

Bosco.