Re: SSI and Hot Standby

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>,<fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSI and Hot Standby
Date: 2011-01-21 14:43:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

> (1) A read write transaction might need to be canceled to
> prevent the view of the data a committed read only transaction has
> already seen from becoming inconsistent. (Dan's example)

And this one seems entirely a theoretical possibility. I spent a
little time looking it over, and I don't see how it could be made to
work from hot standbys without an unbounded flow of predicate lock
information from all standbys to the master *plus* blocking commits
on the master for the duration of the longest round trip latency to
any standby. I think we can call this one dead on arrival.

-Kevin