Re: Issues with large message / history buffers

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with large message / history buffers
Date: 2011-01-20 07:41:33
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 16/01/2011 23:13, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> All,
>
> When I'm debugging stored procedures, I often will put lots of RAISE
> statements in them, sometimes generating hundreds to thousands of lines
> of output when I run them. pgAdmin is rather unhappy with this,
> dramatically slowing down as the output grows.
>
> I think that we ought to have a limit of the amount of text in the
> message and history panes of the query tool. User-settable, defaulting
> to say 1000 rows.

Actually, I don't see the point in this. If you want your stored
procedures to display so many messages, why would pgAdmin not show them?
to stop making it slow, I got this. But if you put so many messages in
your stored procedures, it's because you want to see them. So you
actually don't want that pgAdmin hides them.

> Currently, pgAdmin allows you to set the maximum
> number of *queries* but that's not very helpful if each query is
> generating thousands of lines of output.

Not helpful because it doesn't have this purpose. Setting maximum of
queries is for the combobox, so that you don't end up with 1. a huge
"historic queries" file, 2. an unusable "historic queries" combobox.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr