Re: What happened to open_sync_without_odirect?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What happened to open_sync_without_odirect?
Date: 2011-01-16 20:12:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/15/11 4:30 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Last I remember, we were going to add this as an option. But I don't
>> see a patch in the queue. Am I missing it? Was I supposed to write it?
>
> I don't know, but let me add that I am confused how this would look to
> users. In many cases, kernels don't even support O_DIRECT, so what
> would we do to specify this? What about just auto-disabling O_DIRECT if
> the filesystem does not support it; maybe issue a log message about it.

Yes, you *are* confused. The problem isn't auto-disabling, we already
do that. The problem is *auto-enabling*; ages ago we made the
assumption that if o_sync was supported, so was o_direct. We've now
found out that's not true on all platforms.

Also, test results show that even when supported, o_direct isn't
necessarily a win. Hence, the additional fsync_method options.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.