Re: BUG #5829: No buffer Space Available(maximum connection reached?) from postgres edb driver

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Listening Platform <listening(dot)platform(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5829: No buffer Space Available(maximum connection reached?) from postgres edb driver
Date: 2011-01-14 06:23:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 01/11/2011 05:41 PM, Listening Platform wrote:

> Bug reference: 5829
> Logged by: Listening Platform
> Email address: listening(dot)platform(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4 AS
> Operating system: Windows 2003 server SP2
> from postgres edb driver

> Caused by: java.net.SocketException: No buffer space available (maximum
> connections reached?): connect
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at com.edb.core.PGStream.<init>(PGStream.java:70)
> at
> com.edb.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryIm
> pl.java:115)
> ... 20 more

It'd be nice to have those "20 more". Java's habit of truncating
exception stack traces is one of the more annoying things it does.

In this case, though, it seems pretty likely that you

> When the error occured we were not able to connect to internet and DB

Hang on ... you mean that you were unable to access Internet services
from the machine either?

Were you able to connect to the running PostgreSQL database via "psql"
or via PgAdmin III?

Were there any error messages in the postgresql log files?

What about ICMP ping? traceroute ("tracert" on Windows) to Internet
hosts? To your local gateway / nexthop router? etc.

> We checked TCP connections using netstat.
> But there were not many TCP connections i.e it has not reached the max
> limit.

What is "not many" in this context?

Which limit? you know that the operating system imposes its own limit on
the number of TCP/IP connections that may exist, right? That limit
includes connections that are half-open or closing as well as regular
open/established connections.

> Java 1.6

Java SE 6? Java EE 6?

There is no such thing as "java 1.6".