Re: upgrade 8.3 -> 8.4 (is it safe?)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Edoardo Panfili" <edoardo(at)aspix(dot)it>,<pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: upgrade 8.3 -> 8.4 (is it safe?)
Date: 2011-01-13 19:18:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Edoardo Panfili <edoardo(at)aspix(dot)it> wrote:

> I am using postgres 8.4 with the 8.3 jdbc driver.
>
> I'd like to upgrade to jdbc 8.4 is there any reason to avoid this
> upgrade? Where can I find information regarding possible problems
> (if any)?

I didn't have any problems with that, but I sure had problems when I
failed to upgrade my JDBC driver to the 9.0 version when we upgraded
the backend to 9.0. Unless you have a very specific reason to do
otherwise, I suggest that you follow the advice here:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#current

To quote:

| This is the current version of the driver. Unless you have unusual
| requirements (running old applications or JVMs), this is the
| driver you should be using. It supports Postgresql 7.2 or newer
| and requires a 1.4 or newer JVM. It contains support for SSL and
| the javax.sql package. It comes in two flavors, JDBC3 and JDBC4.
| If you are using the 1.6 JVM, then you should use the JDBC4
| version.
|
| JDBC3 Postgresql Driver, Version 9.0-801
|
| JDBC4 Postgresql Driver, Version 9.0-801

-Kevin