Re: What is considered a "slow processes"

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is considered a "slow processes"
Date: 2011-01-09 22:52:53
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 06/01/2011 17:53, Benjamin Krajmalnik a écrit :
> While playing around with pgadmin to see the state of running queries, I
> noticed that all of the queries are falling under the category of "slow
> processes" or "idle process". Some of the process whose query is
> showing as idle are tagged as idle processes, while some are tagged as
> slow processes.

There is actually more possibilities:

* idle process: for each process that don't currently run a query and
aren't in a transaction block
* blocked process: for each process waiting on a lock
* active process: for each process executing a query since less than
10 seconds
* slow process: for each process executing a query since at least
10 seconds

> Could this be an "artifact" of using a connection pooler, since the
> client start times are sometimes a few minutes old? What is the
> criteria for determining if a process is "slow"?

We use query_start to check if a query is slow, so I don't think it has
anything to do with a connection pooler.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr