Re: Sync Rep Design

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sync Rep Design
Date: 2011-01-05 01:59:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Based upon that series of conversations, I've reworked the design so
> that there is (currently) only a single standby offering sync rep at any
> one time. Other standbys can request to be sync standbys but they only
> become the sync standby if the first one fails. Which was simple to do
> and bridges the challenges of an exactly identified sync standby and the
> fragility of too closely specifying the config.

That seems like a good enough starting point to cover a lot of cases.
Presuming the two servers each at two sites config that shows up in a
lot of these discussions, people in the "I need sync to a remote spot"
can get that, and if that site is unavailable for long enough to be
kicked out they'll smoothly degrade to sync on a secondary local copy.
And those who want high performance local sync and best-effort for the
remote site can configure for that too, and if the local secondary dies
they'll just degrade to the slow remote commits.

PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support www.2ndQuadrant.us