Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Imre Oolberg" <imre(at)auul(dot)pri(dot)ee>, "Scott Ribe" <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal
Date: 2011-01-03 18:38:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com> wrote:

> Yes, but the database is recovered to the consistent state as of
> the pg_start_backup command, as I pointed out to you before.
> Results of transactions that commit after the pg_start_backup
> command will not be in the backed up database.

I doubt you. The transactions between pg_start_backup and
pg_stop_backup must all be applied to get to a consistent state.
That means you will be *at least* to the point of the stop. If
there are more WAL files available to apply, and you don't tell it
otherwise, it will keep going *past* the stop point until the
attempt to get a WAL file fails.

It sounds to me more like the OP isn't following all the
instructions for a PITR recovery, and is instead falling into crash
recovery. That won't work on a copy made while a database was being
modified.

-Kevin