Re: Sync Rep Design

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sync Rep Design
Date: 2011-01-01 19:29:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01.01.2011 19:03, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-01-01 at 17:37 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks easy enough to get to know which one it is. Surely the primary
>>> knows and could update something visible through a system view for
>>> users? This as been asked for before and I was thinking there was a
>>> consensus on this.
>>
>> well as jeff janes already said - anything that requires the master to
>> still exist is not useful for a desaster.
>
> Nobody has suggested that the master needs to still exist after a
> disaster.

Dimitri just did, see above. I agree it's not very useful.

I don't think there's any other solution to knowing which standby is
ahead than connect to both standbys and ask how far each is. I don't see
a problem with that, whatever middleware handles the failover and
STONITH etc. should be able to do that too.

--
Heikki Linnakangas