Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2009-12-28 01:14:25
Lists: pgsql-www

On Dec 27, 2009, at 1:12 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> And the answer is unfortunately, no, there is no way around that
> unless you want to start hacking the gforge code. And if you want to
> do that, you can start by upgrading it :-p

Since that doesn't seem to be likely to happen anytime soon, and indeed there are folks who want to kill pgFoundry, I'm considering moving my project elsewhere. The only hesitation I have is that then pgTAP will not be visible on any PostgreSQL-oriented community site.

I know that when I release a Perl module to CPAN that it will be visible to lots of people in the Perl community, and automatically searchable via search.cpan.org and other tools. A CPAN release is a release to the Perl community.

There is nothing like this for PostgreSQL. pgFoundry is the closest thing, and, frankly, nowhere near as good (pgFoundry's search rankings have always stunk). So if I were to remove my projects from pgFoundry, how could I make them visible to the community? Is there any other central repository of or searchable list of third-party PostgreSQL offerings?

Thanks,

David