Re: pg_streamrecv for 9.1?

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_streamrecv for 9.1?
Date: 2010-12-30 20:57:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/29/2010 07:42 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Is it really stable enough for bin/? My impression of the state of
>> affairs is that there is nothing whatsoever about replication that
>> is really stable yet.
>
> Well, that's not stopping us from shipping a core feature called "replication". I'll defer to others on how mature pg_streamrecv is, but if it's no worse than replication in general I think putting it in bin/ is the right thing to do.

well I have not looked at how good pg_streamrecv really is but we
desperately need to fix the basic usability issues in our current
replication implementation and pg_streamrecv seems to be a useful tool
to help with some.
From all the people I talked to with SR they where surprised how
complex and fragile the initial setup procedure is - it is the lack of
providing a simple and reliable tool to do a base backup over libpq and
also a simple way to have that tool tell the master "keep the wal
segments I need for starting the standby". I do realize we need to keep
the ability to do the basebackup out-of-line but for 99% of the users it
is tool complex, scary and failure proof (I know nobody who got the
procedure right the first time - which is a strong hint that we need to
work on that).

Stefan