Re: BUG #5802: configure script does not check for perl devel files

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5802: configure script does not check for perl devel files
Date: 2010-12-28 23:29:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On tis, 2010-12-28 at 12:19 +0000, Mario Ohnewald wrote:
>> However, during the make, postgres requires perl devel. Should this
>> not be covered in the configure script?
> No, it's not configure's job to do the job of make or the compiler.

I believe he's suggesting that configure should be confirming the
availability and location of these prerequisites, just as it locates and
validates the perl install and many other prerequisite tools.

that said, in a generic sense, Perl doesn't distinguish between
developer and runtime, this is purely a platform/distribution specific
packaging issue.