Re: pg_primary_conninfo

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_primary_conninfo
Date: 2010-12-28 16:30:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le 28/12/2010 16:34, Tom Lane a écrit :
>> On Dec 28, 2010 3:58 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> What's the use case? And aren't there security reasons to NOT expose
>>> that? It might contain a password for instance.
>
>> Good point - should be made superuser only.
>
> I'm still wondering what's the actual use-case for exposing this inside
> SQL. Those with a legitimate need-to-know can look at the slave
> server's config files, no?

This is something I wanted to have in 9.0 when I coded in pgAdmin some
features related to the HotStandby. Knowing on which IP is the master
can help pgAdmin offer the user to register the master node.

It's also interesting to get lag between master and slave. As soon as
I'm connected to a slave, I can connect to the master and get the lag
between them. Something I can't do right now in pgAdmin.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr