Re: autogenerating error code lists (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add foreign data wrapper error code values for SQL/MED.)

From: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: autogenerating error code lists (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add foreign data wrapper error code values for SQL/MED.)
Date: 2010-12-26 19:45:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 26/12/10 20:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> =?UTF-8?B?SmFuIFVyYmHFhHNraQ==?= <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org> writes:
>> I then tried to do the same for plerrcodes.h, but found discrepancies.
>
> You shouldn't assume that errcodes.h necessarily includes all the info
> needed to create the other two files.
>
> The way I'd envision this working is that we have a master file
> containing the five-letter SQLSTATE code, the ERRCODE macro name,
> the string name to use in plerrcodes.h, and any other required items,
> and then generate all three of the existing files from that.

How about a format like this then:

# Comment
Section: Class 2F - SQL Routine Exception
macro_name sqlstate plpgsqlname is_error

That is: # and blank lines are comments, lines starting with "Section:"
are section names (needed for SGML output), the rest are whitespace
separated strings. is_error is 0 or 1, if it's 0 we don't generate a
plpgsql condition for it.

If we go for that format, we'll end up with one new plpgsql error
(nonstantard_use_of_escape_character) that was omitted from previous
releases.

Jan