Re: pgAdmin Query Tool hangs when working with GIS data

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Willekes <mikewillekes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin Query Tool hangs when working with GIS data
Date: 2010-12-22 23:05:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 22/12/2010 10:26, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Le 22/12/2010 09:47, Dave Page a écrit :
>>> Guillaume; do we have a limit on the size of data we'll store in the
>>> history file? We've seen 3 or 4 reports like this.
>>>

>> The Options dialog says yes (1024 characters). But, AFAICT from reading
>> the source code, we don't use it :-/ I was sure we did. Will fix it today.
>
> Oops.

I looked a bit more at this issue. We use the option. The flow of
operations is:
* put the query in the combobox and the file
* execute the query
* if the query fails, delete it from the combobox and the file
* if it's bigger than the max size, delete it from combobox and file

The reasoning behind all this is to still be able to look at your query
if it crashes pgAdmin. So you don't have to type it again. You just need
to select it in the combobox and fix it.

It has its downside, for example when pgAdmin freezes and the query is
bigger than the max size, at restart, pgAdmin will try to put that huge
line in the combobox. Which probably doesn't please wxWidgets (and for
good reasons).

One way to fix the issue is to make sure we don't try to put a 14MB line
in the combobox.

Comments?

--
Guillaume