Re: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 12 2010 ==

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <david(at)fetter(dot)org>,<pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - December 12 2010 ==
Date: 2010-12-18 20:58:26
Lists: pgsql-announce

David Fetter wrote:

> Kevin Grittner sent in four revisions of a patch to add a optimize
> and correct SERIALIZABLE so that it doesn't switch from READ ONLY
> DEFERRABLE mode to READ WRITE.

Correction: this is a patch to prevent the READ ONLY property of any
transaction from being changed after a transaction (of any isolation
level) acquires its first snapshot, except that a subtransaction can
set its level to READ ONLY when the parent transaction level is READ
WRITE. I was motivated to do so largely because it allows certain
optimizations in the Serializable Snapshot Isolation patch, but also
because of standards compliance issues.

-Kevin