Re: function attributes

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: function attributes
Date: 2010-12-12 16:24:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/12/2010 10:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Tim Bunce seemed to think that this particular problem might be solvable
> in a completely transparent way, by having byteas convert into Perl
> objects that have a hook for producing a backwards-compatible text
> translation. Have you looked into that idea?

No. If you're referring to this sentence, which was referring to arrays,
not to byteas:

> It's possible a blessed ref with string overloading would avoid
> backwards compatibility issues.

then it won't work (or at least it would be far more complex than what
I've done, and I can't see how it would work) in the case of a bytea,
since a bytea becomes a scalar, not a ref, and you can only bless refs.

cheers

andrew