Re: proposal: auxiliary functions for record type

From: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: proposal: auxiliary functions for record type
Date: 2010-12-11 05:28:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> I wrote a few functions for record type - record_expand,
> record_get_fields, record_get_field, record_set_fields.
>
> A usage of this functions is described in my blog
> http://okbob.blogspot.com/2010/12/iteration-over-record-in-plpgsql.html
>
> Do you think, so these functions can be in core? These are relative
> strong and enough general with zero dependency. Sure, these functions
> are not defined in ANSI SQL.
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel Stehule

That looks good in principle. I see it as being valuable and important that
users can define generic relational operators/functions, meaning ones that can
work with any relations like built-ins can, and the ability to iterate over
record fields, or at least introspect a relation to see what fields it has, is a
good foundation to support this. -- Darren Duncan