Re: profiling connection overhead

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: profiling connection overhead
Date: 2010-12-06 17:57:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> At some point Hackers should look at pg vs MySQL multi tenantry but it
>> is way tangential today.
>
> My understanding is that our schemas work like MySQL databases; and
> our databases are an even higher level of isolation. No?

That's correct. Drizzle is looking at implementing a feature like our
databases called "catalogs" (per the SQL spec).

Let me stress that not everyone is happy with the MySQL multi-tenantry
approach. But it does make multi-tenancy on a scale which you seldom
see with PG possible, even if it has problems. It's worth seeing
whether we can steal any of their optimization ideas without breaking PG.

I was specifically looking at the login model, which works around the
issue that we have: namely that different login ROLEs can't share a
connection pool. In MySQL, they can share the built-in connection
"pool" because role-switching effectively is a session variable.
AFAICT, anyway.

For that matter, if anyone knows any other DB which does multi-tenant
well/better, we should be looking at them too.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.