Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Date: 2010-12-05 05:12:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 05:18 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Or you set the handler always, and have the handler only actually
>> create the dump if the directory exists. That way you can add the
>> directory and still get a dump from both existing backends and the
>> postmaster itself without a restart.
>
> That's way smarter. No extra filesystem access during startup, even if
> it is cheap.

I added a commenting referencing this bit to the CF entry so it doesn't
get forgotten. Magnus raised a few other issues in his earlier review
too. Discussion of this patch seems to have jumped the gun a bit into
talking about backpatching before the code for HEAD was completely done,
then stalled there. Are we going to see an updated patch that addresses
submitted feedback in this cycle?

PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support www.2ndQuadrant.us