Re: TRUNCATE HANGS

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>,<tmoore(at)ttitech(dot)net>
Subject: Re: TRUNCATE HANGS
Date: 2010-12-04 18:43:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

tmoore wrote:

> Running this test, a deadlock can be created without fail.

You haven't shown any evidence of a deadlock -- just blocking.
That's not at all the same thing.

> postgres 16990 26837 44 11:20 ? 00:28:51 postgres: postgres uisdb
> 127.0.0.1(34405) idle in transaction

> postgres 16993 26837 0 11:20 ? 00:00:00 postgres: postgres
> uisdb [local] idle

> When I kill the 'idle' process, things unblock

Are you sure it isn't the "idle in transaction" one that matters?
What happens if you just COMMIT it?

> I'm at loss for what is the underlying cause of this problem.

You should be able to tell from pg_locks which transaction is
blocking what.

This doesn't look like a bug. If you still have problems solving
this, you should probably start a new thread on pgsql-general or
pgsql-novice. If you can create a small self-contained test case,
which starts with creating and populating tables, so that others can
reproduce your issue, you'll be able to get more specific help.

-Kevin