Re: directory archive format for pg_dump

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, José Arthur Benetasso Villanova <jose(dot)arthur(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: directory archive format for pg_dump
Date: 2010-12-03 09:22:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02.12.2010 23:12, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Heikki Linnakangas's message of jue dic 02 16:52:27 -0300 2010:
>> Ok, committed, with some small cleanup since the last patch I posted.
>
> I think the comments on _ReadBuf and friends need to be updated, since
> they are not just for headers and TOC stuff anymore. I'm not sure if
> they were already outdated before your patch ...

"These routines are only used to read & write headers & TOC"

Hmm, ReadInt calls _ReadByte, and PrintData used to call ReadInt, so it
was indirectly been called for things other than headers and TOC
already. Unless you consider the "headers" to include length integer in
in each data block. I'm inclined to just remove that sentence.

I also note that the _Clone and _DeClone functions are a bit misplaced.
There's a big "END OF FORMAT CALLBACKS" earlier in the file, but _Clone
and _DeClone are such callbacks. I'll move them to the right place.

PS. Thanks for the cleanup you did yesterday.

--
Heikki Linnakangas