Re: techniques for bulk load of spatial data

From: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
To: Mario Corchero <mariocj89(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: techniques for bulk load of spatial data
Date: 2010-11-30 15:25:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/30/2010 7:29 AM, Mario Corchero wrote:
> Hi, I'm a student of Computer Science,
> I know diffrents techniques of bulk load, but I need to know how
> specifically postgreSQL make a bulk load of spatial data, could anyone
> help me please?
> Thank you.

That is a pretty generic question. Have you run into problems? what
have you tried?

In general, use COPY. If its a one time load, temporarily disable fsync.

I use shp2pgsql all the time, and it loads 10's of thousands of records
a second. (I've never timed it, it was never something slow that I
needed to fix. I just ran it and went on).

Do you have shape files you need to load? Have you tuned your
postgresql.conf? Do you want a util to import data for you, or are you
writing your own? Are you using PostGIS?

No one can give you specifics without a bunch more detail about what you
want.

-Andy