Re: DELETE with LIMIT (or my first hack)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daniel Loureiro <loureirorg(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DELETE with LIMIT (or my first hack)
Date: 2010-11-30 04:25:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/29/2010 10:19 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> For example, suppose we're trying to govern an ancient Greek
> democracy:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostracism
>
> DELETE FROM residents_of_athens ORDER BY ostracism_votes DESC LIMIT 1;

I'm not sure this is a very good example. Assuming there isn't a tie,
I'd do it like this:

DELETE FROM residents_of_athens
WHERE ostracism_votes >= 6000
and ostracism_votes =
(SELECT max(ostracism_votes)
FROM residents_of_athens);

I can't say I'd be excited by this feature. In quite a few years of writing SQL I don't recall ever wanting such a gadget.

cheers

andrew