Re: patch: Add JSON datatype to PostgreSQL (GSoC, WIP)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Terry Laurenzo <tj(at)laurenzo(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: Add JSON datatype to PostgreSQL (GSoC, WIP)
Date: 2010-11-21 18:27:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/21/2010 12:31 AM, Terry Laurenzo wrote:

> I copied the 5 sample documents from json.org <http://json.org>'s
> example section for these tests. These are loaded into a table with a
> varchar column 1000 times each (so the test table has 5000 rows in
> it). In all situations, the binary encoding was smaller than the
> normalized text form (between 9 and 23% smaller). I think there are
> cases where the binary form will be larger than the corresponding text
> form, but I don't think they would be very common.

Is that a pre-toast or post-toast comparison?

Even if it's post-toast, that doesn't seem like enough of a saving to
convince me that simply storing as text, just as we do for XML, isn't a
sensible way to go, especially when the cost of reproducing the text for
delivery to clients (including, say, pg_dump) is likely to be quite high.

cheers

andrew