Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dan Shoubridge <dan(dot)shoubridge(at)autovhc(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request for Debugging SQL in PGAdmin3 when SQL contains variables
Date: 2010-11-16 22:26:21
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 16/11/2010 14:01, Dan Shoubridge a écrit :

>>> Le 16/11/2010 13:34, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>
>>> And? I don't see why pgscript can't do that. The example you give is
> certainly doable with pgscript.
>
>>> Just for the record, the above script looks like this in pgscript:
>
>>> declare @x;
>>> set @x = 'abc';
>>> select * from sometable where somefield = '@x';
>
>>> And it works.
>
> 16/11/2010 13:00, Dan Shoubridge:
>
> (Apologies for messing up my reply, I've not used mailing lists before and
> they never get formatted correctly/
>
> Ok, I tried it - I think I must have missed of the quotes in my version, but
> that still defeats the point - It's easy to replace @ with :, but having to
> put quotes around all the vars makes it less efficient. Is there anything
> that can be done about this?

I don't think this is something we want to do. Problem is that variables
are not strictly typed, so there is nothing that could tell pgscript if
it should add simple quotes (simple quotes for text, but not for integer
for example).

> And I don't get any output in the 'Data Output tab' - this is the most
> important bit. - I can copy and paste the result that I can then run, after
> I've fiddled with the script a bit, but it isn't seamless. - Just a request
> as I think others would find it useful too?

Yeah, that's quite surprising. I would be useful but quite hard to do.

I think I'll add a ticket on this.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr