Re: Why facebook used mysql ?

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date: 2010-11-09 16:24:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Also there's the strange and mysterious valley group-think syndrome.
I've seen this with several products/technologies over the years.
I suspect it comes from the VCs, but I'm not sure. The latest example
is "you should be using EC2". There always follows a discussion where
I can present 50 concrete reasons based on hard experience why
the suggestion is a bad idea and the other person presents nothing
besides "everyone's doing it". I saw exactly the same thing with MySQL
a few years ago. Before that it was Oracle. It's often easier to go along
with the flow and get some work done vs. trying to argue.