Re: Improper CSV export delimiter

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Aren Cambre <aren(at)arencambre(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improper CSV export delimiter
Date: 2010-11-06 21:34:25
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 06/11/2010 22:19, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 6 November 2010 21:08, Aren Cambre <aren(at)arencambre(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Bug report:
>>
>> When I use File > Export from a Query window, it's clearly trying to make a
>> CSV. The suggested filename is suffixed with .csv.
>>

> Are you sure that isn't just there because that's the last filename you
> used? Mine doesn't default to anything. If I click on the ellipsis and type
> a filename without an extension into the file browser and click OK, it just
> comes up with the path and the filename I typed without an extension.

+1

More to the point, all this dialog knows is that you want to export
data. It doesn't know what CSV is. If your file is suffixed with .csv,
.txt, .xls, .<whichever weird suffix you put last time>, it doesn't
care. It doesn't know what this suffix means. It doesn't even know that
it could mean something. So, right now, it cannot pre-select specific
items that should be related with your file suffix.

Moreover, the value you have as a column separator comes from your last
export. You probably set it to a semi-colon the last time you used the
Export functionality.

Anyway, it would be a really good thing to "beautify" this dialog. It's
actually really horrible. And maybe, while we are at it, we could add
this kind of functionality.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr