Re: SR fails to send existing WAL file after off-line copy

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Matt Chesler <matt(at)pragmatrading(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SR fails to send existing WAL file after off-line copy
Date: 2010-11-01 20:02:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Yes, indeed there is a corner-case bug when you try to stream the very
> first WAL segment, with log==seg==0.

I confirmed that the bug exists in only this case by taking my problem
install and doing this:

psql -d postgres -c "checkpoint; select pg_switch_xlog();"

To force it to the next xlog file. With only that change, everything
else then works. So we'll just need to warn people about this issue and
provide that workaround, as something that only trivial new installs
without much data loaded into them are likely to run into, until 9.0.2
ships with your fix in it. I'll update the docs on the wiki
accordingly, once I've recovered from this morning's flight out West.

I forgot to credit Robert Noles here for rediscovering this bug on one
of our systems and bringing it to my attention.

PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support www.2ndQuadrant.us