Re: BUG #5739: postgresql will not start

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Kim Garren" <dedanna(at)bjoernvold(dot)com>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5739: postgresql will not start
Date: 2010-11-01 21:45:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Kim Garren" <dedanna(at)bjoernvold(dot)com> wrote:

> Received update to postgresql 9.0.1-2 yesterday

How? From where? What were you running before?

> Once booted, I try to start it manually, with the following
> result:
>
> # /etc/rc.d/postgresql start
> :: Starting PostgreSQL
> [BUSY] server starting
>
> [DONE]

What is showing for `ps aux | grep postgres` ? What is in the logs?

> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21560

Both of these make it sound like you were upgrading from PostgreSQL
8.4. This requires a database conversion. What technique did you
use for that? (The more specific you can be about the exact steps,
the more likely it is that someone will be able to help you.)

> I have lost my music db because of this.

Not unless you deleted your data directory. If you don't back it up
regularly, it would certainly be wise to do so before a major
release upgrade. Making a recursive copy of the database data
directory would be a very good idea right now.

-Kevin