Re: CPUs for new databases

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ivan Voras <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CPUs for new databases
Date: 2010-10-27 07:37:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> There was an earlier thread with
> Greg and I in it where we posted the memory bandwidth numbers for that
> machine and it was insane how much data all 48 cores could pump into /
> out of memory at the same time.

Yeah, it was insane. Building a economical 'that generation opteron'
database server has been on my wishlist since that thread, my current
favorite is the 8-core 6128 opteron, for $275,- at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105266

Ah might as well drop the whole config on my wishlist as well:

2 times that 8 core processor
Supermicro H8DGU-F motherboard - 16 dimm slots, dual socket, dual Intel
ethernet and additional ethernet for IPMI.
2 times KVR1333D3D4R9SK8/32G memory - 4GB dimms seem to be at the GB/$
sweet spot at the moment for DDR3
1 time OCZ Vertex 2 Pro 100GB (there was a thread about this sandforce
disk as well: a SSD with supercap that acts as battery backup)
maybe another one or two spindled 2.5" drives for archive/backup.
Supermicro 113TQ-563UB chassis

At the time I looked this up, I could buy it for just over €3000,-

regards
Yeb Havinga

PS: I'm in no way involved with either of the manufacturers, nor one of
their fanboys. I'm just interested, like the OP, what is good
hardware/config for a PG related server.