Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha
Date: 2010-10-24 13:13:31
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 24/10/2010 01:06, Dave Page a écrit :
> Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we have a PostgreSQL support policy, we can follow that for new releases of pgAdmin.
>
> Branch
> ------
> master
>
> Details
> -------
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=f6acdf3429dfee7ee9a2990b8fdb75d519dd50d2
>
> Modified Files
> --------------
> pgadmin/include/pgAdmin3.h | 8 ++++----

Do we really want to do that? I mean, stopping a connection if a guy is
not on a PostgreSQL maintained release. Actually, there's not much to
fix for theses releases in the pgAdmin's code, so why would we tell
these users to use another admin tool if pgAdmin is already able to deal
with them? I think a hint would be more advised. Something like:

According to the PostgreSQL Support Policy, you're working on an
unmaintained PostgreSQL server. You can get more details on
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy. We
urge you to update your PostgreSQL release on this server. Meanwhile,
you can still use pgAdmin to a certain extent. It should work flawlessly.

Maybe we should add something to tell them we won't do a lots of effort
to debug pgAdmin for these unmaintained releases.

But I don't think we should stop them to use pgAdmin, even if they use a
buggy PostgreSQL release.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr