Re: pg_rawdump

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Roberto Mello" <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Aidan Van Dyk" <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_rawdump
Date: 2010-10-21 21:21:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Most of the data-loss reports I've seen appeared to come from
> people who wouldn't be capable of doing such recovery work even if
> better tools were available.

No doubt; but the recovery work often winds up in the hands of
people with more skills than those responsible for the loss.
Whoever comes in to help with recovery is looking for every bit of
traction they can get. You'd be amazed at some of the odd straws
people can grasp to help recover data.

I don't know how big the special area is, but if enough room could
be carved out to include even the relation ID or filename, it might
be a big help to someone. I'm pretty skeptical about including
information about attributes, though.

-Kevin