Re: [PATH] Idle in transaction cancellation

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PATH] Idle in transaction cancellation
Date: 2010-10-19 14:18:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Here is a proposed patch which enables cancellation of $subject.

Cool. Some enhancements we'd like to do to Serializable Snapshot
Isolation (SSI), should the base patch make it in, would require
this capability.

> Currently it does *not* report any special error message to the
> client if it
>
> starts sending commands in an (unbekownst to it) failed
> transaction, but just the normal "25P02: current transaction is
> aborted..." message.
>
> It shouldn't be hard to add that and I will propose a patch if
> people would like it (I personally am not very interested, but I
> can see people validly wanting it)

For SSI purposes, it would be highly desirable to be able to set the
SQLSTATE and message generated when the canceled transaction
terminates.

> but I would like to have some feedback on the patch first.

I'll take a look when I can, but it may be a couple weeks from now.

-Kevin