Re: virtual ip's for Pg host

From: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: virtual ip's for Pg host
Date: 2010-10-17 11:07:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Isabella,

Il 15/10/10 23:19, Isabella Ghiurea ha scritto:
> we would like to implement a virtual ip for two of our of our PG db
> hosts to help us with switching hosts with less downtime for clients,
> is there any specific change need to be done on PG database hosts
> configuration , I was thinking maybe pg_hba.conf file ?

That should not be an issue for pg_hba.conf - although you must make
sure that requests coming from your virtual LAN are allowed.

On the other hand, the main configuration option you should properly set
is 'listen_addresses', which specifies on which interfaces/IP addresses
PostgreSQL is listening for incoming requests
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/runtime-config-connection.html).

I hope this helps.

Ciao,
Gabriele