Re: Transportation from Frankfurt to Stuttgart for pday.eu

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transportation from Frankfurt to Stuttgart for pday.eu
Date: 2010-10-12 11:46:31
Lists: pgeu-general

Hello Peter,

On 11.10.2010 23:19, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> 1. Should I book a train in advance?

Frankfurt airport has an own train station.

The way is just following the signs to the train station at the airport
- taking the elevator some floors down - find the correct platform
(sometimes on stations in Germany you will hear "track" instead of
"platform").

At Frankfurt airport all should be additionally signed in English and
also the speakers at the train station will all announce in German and
in English sometimes also additionally in French and Dutch ... Always
German and English (at the station ... I am not sure here if
announcements in train itself will be in more languages traveling to
Stuttgart. But the persons working in the train should be able to
understand and speak English).

FRA isn't CDG ... of course at the airport you will find all stuff
additionally in English and not only in German.

Every hour and during meantime every half an hour there is a direct
train from
Frankfurt airport station to Stuttgart main station.

The direct train from Frankfurt airport station to Stuttgart main
station cost 57 Euro for 2nd class and 92 Euro for 1st class.

There is an economize offer when you book early enough you might get the
train for 19 Euro for 2nd class or 49 Euro traveling 1st class.

But ... when you take the economize offer you have train binding.

Means, when your plane will land earlier or later and you want to take
earlier or later train
you have to pay an add on.

There is another trick ....
Instead of booking your flight to FRA just look if booking the flight to
STR will be cheaper or cost the same.
I mean via FRA to STR.

My experience is that intercontinental flights are cheaper when they are
via FRA but not end in FRA.

The flight from FRA to STR will be a train. Lufthansa/United (star
alliance) won't take planes here. They have an agreement with German
Train company (DB) that for the flights Frankfurt - Stuttgart and
Frankfurt - Cologne a train is used instead of plane.

Of course this train won't cost you extra money because you are using it
with your boarding card.

When I have to take a train after landing on an airport in Germany I
never book it in advance.
Usually, my planes are not in time ... either they are much earlier
(especially when traveling from US) or later.

Means even when I would book in advance I would need to pay the full
prise at the end.
So I don't book in advance and just buy the ticket after I landed.

For buying ticket at the airport you either need Euro or a credit card.
They don't accept Dollar.

> 2. How close is the DB Bahn Frankfurt(Main)Hbf train station to FRA terminal 2?

You don't want to travel to main station first. You want to take the
direct train from airport to Stuttgart.

It is just some walking distance in the airport.
I expect that there are signs which you just need to follow.
Look for red written "DB" sign ...

Best Regards,

Susanne

--