Re: Issues with Quorum Commit

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with Quorum Commit
Date: 2010-10-11 11:47:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg,

to me it looks like we have very similar goals, but start from different
preconditions. I absolutely agree with you given the preconditions you
named.

On 10/08/2010 10:04 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> How is that a new problem? It's already possible to end up with a
> standby pair that has suffered through some bizarre failure chain such
> that it's not necessarily obvious which of the two systems has the most
> recent set of data on it. And that's not this project's problem to
> solve.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think that might not have been clear to
me. This limitation of scope certainly make sense for the Postgres
project in general.

Regards

Markus Wanner