Re: migration from PointBase to PostgreSQL

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: migration from PointBase to PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-10-07 17:02:41
Lists: pgsql-general

1. get an ascii dump of the source database.

2. check if for consistency if you're ambitious or suspicion by nature
(or you've been through this a number of times before and discovered
that this is _always_ necessary)

3. create the target database/schema

4. convert source data to target as per differences in the two schema

5. resolve all the inconsistencies you missed in the first pass

6. load the tables of the target via COPY, starting with those that have
no foreign keep dependencies, followed by their dependents.

7. resolve all the inconsistencies you missed in the second pass

repeat 6 and 7 'til the cows come home